Thursday 28 February 2019

French Seamed Cotton Pyjamas


One area that is slightly lacking in my me-made wardrobe is pyjamas. I mean, over the past few years I have made 1 set of pyjamas and 2 nighties(here and here), but those don't all fit anymore, and even when they did, didn't see a lot of use, usually due to the fabric choice. So, for the week 5 fancy seams challenge of the 52 Week Sewing Challenge, I decided to make myself a set of fully french seamed cotton pyjamas, using this delicate floral print with birds. 


For the shorts I used Burda 7109 (previously used here) adding pockets and leaving off the leg elastics, and for the top I used Kwik Sew 3395 (used here for a slip) adapted so that the midriff and skirt pieces were cut as one piece (the same changes I made when making the slip previously). I was difficult to cut all the pieces I needed from the just over 2m length of fabric I had, which is why I had to add pockets to my shorts, as I couldn't fit the whole pieces on, so arranged them to have cut outs on the top, front sides, which I then made into pockets.


I cut the pieces out after my son went to bed one night, then managed all the sewing during his naps over 2 days, amongst other things I had to get done. As these were both patterns I had used before, they were quick and easy to put together, even with the additional pockets and french seaming. I managed to only partially sew one seam the wrong way, before realising and having to unpick. For an entire french seamed set, that's not bad at all.

After I finished them and tried them on it seemed that they had ended up a little too small for me, which bummed me out. However, after a couple of days I decided to wear them to bed anyway, and after a bit of wear, the weave of the fabric loosened up a bit and allowed the bias to give. After a couple of washes, the fit improved even more.

I have now fallen a few weeks behind in my 52 week sewing challenge (although I did get this one done in time, I am just last blogging about it) mostly due to being busy with my son and his first birthday, but I have also been seriously struggling with motivation and my own mental health. I had hoped that getting back to sewing would help with that, but it has been difficult to find the time with an active baby, and with university just begun for the year, that is probably going to get even harder.

Anyone else already behind in their plans for the year?

Dixie

No comments:

Post a Comment