Thursday 25 August 2016

Spinning!

So, over the weekend, I was lucky enough to have had my uncle teach me how to spin wool. He now has 4 spinning wheels, and so has agreed to lend me one, possibly for keeps if I really like it. I warned him I tend to pick up skills like this very very easily, but he still thought it would take me some time to get the rhythm of the wheel. However it only took me a matter of minutes and I was off and spinning like a pro (or at least not a complete novice) He was very surprised at my natural ability, and could not wait to tell people at the spinning guild he meets with.

It was difficult to spin and look at the camera


I had my first bobbin half filled within 30 minutes (you only half fill it, as you then ply 2 spun strands together)


I then took the wheel, its accessories and 500g of un-spun wool home. I didnt get any more spinning done that afternoon, as I was too tired, but the next morning, I was awoken early by one of my cats, and so decided to get up and see what I could manage before leaving for church. I managed to spin a second half full bobbin, ply the 2 together, wrap the yarn around the niddy noddy, then twist and tie it into a skein.

2 strands plied together

on the Niddy Noddy

My First Skein!

4 completed skeins

By the time I went back to work on Tuesday morning, I had completed 4 skeins! Out of interest, I weighed them on my kitchen scales and they average 30g each, which is a lot lighter than I thought they would be. I still need to wash each skein to set the ply so it doesnt unravel, which will shrink it a bit. I will then be dyeing them some sort of bright colour (I haven't decided what colour yet) and knit up something fabulous! I already have a cute little bolero/shrug pattern in mind.

Does anyone else spin their own yarn?

Dixie

2 comments:

  1. That's so exciting! My mum spins and dyes wool, which means I have a few skeins of unique and beautifully soft hand-spun wool to knit. (I can't bring myself to knit it, though - it just feels too special!) I'm looking forward to seeing how you dye it and what you make from your newly-spun wool.

    Katie @ Katie Writes Stuff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But you should knit it! I am still trying to work out how I want to dye my wool, one colour just seems too flat, so I want to try making it variegated somehow. It's good to know there are still quite a few people out there who spin their own wool, it's such an interesting hobby!

      Delete