Wednesday 18 March 2015

Latest Op-Shop treasures.

So it has occurred to me that I see other bloggers write about their great op shop finds quite frequently, but haven't written much myself, even though I buy a great deal of my sewing supplies and other bits from my local Op shops. So I thought I would share some of my latest finds (these are over the span of a few weeks)

I bought these fabulous Sesame street sheets for $2.50, with the original idea of cutting them up to make children's pyjamas for the local womens' refuge, but when I showed them to my Husband, he like them too much to let me cut them up. I could tell they were fairly old, but they seemed to be in really good condition. On closer inspection I found that the sheets were actually Sheridan cotton Percale sheets, the main signs of wear are really only on the tag and some pilling on the elastic of the fitted sheet (but the elastic itself is still very stretchy) but the fabric itself was pretty much flawless. So I guess these will be going in the linen cupboard til we have children of our own.


Then was this lovely blue and yellow floral sheet for $1. I have no idea what brand this sheet was, as the tag had completely faded away, but the fabric itself was so beautiful to the touch, very smooth and high thread count. Since I bought this, it has been used to sew Butterick 6522


Then more recently I found these 2 fabrics. The blue rose fabric is a light cotton, and there is only about enough to make a blouse (and maybe a turban?) but for $1, it was a good deal. The other piece was also only $1 and is a very bright, fun printed cotton. There is around 2m of it, but I don't yet know what I'll use it for. Perhaps I'll make something for when I eventually go to Hawaii or Fiji.


The same day I found those pieces of fabric, I also found this Pattern, New Look 6468. While it is not a particularly exciting pattern, I have really loved my other New Look pattern from the same era (New Look 6457) and thought I would give this one a chance.


Then there are my finds from when I took my grandmother and her best friend out op shopping. I found a cute little sewing kit, some blue ric-rac and a few nice pieces of fabric.


I'm mostly excited by this purple/green taffeta. It's in 2 pieces and they aren't huge, but I think if I go about it really carefully, I may have enough to make a dress out of it.


I also found out about a great clothing refashioning competition that the Red Cross and the Australian Sewing Guild are holding... but that's a post for another day.

Dixie O'Dare



No comments:

Post a Comment