Sunday 25 January 2015

They say Bad luck comes in 3's

Well If I thought last Week was rough, I was not prepared for this week.....

Firstly, as you may already know from my last post, my ancient laptop finally carked it. I do most things from my Samsung Tablet, but I can't do everything, so that has screwed up a few things. On Friday, I went for a second interview for the same full time position I interviewed for last week. I think it went well, but I wont know until at least next Tuesday. While I was out that day I dropped into a JB Hi-fi, who had a 15% off sale on computers. They had some at really reasonable prices, so I treated myself to a little cheapo one. But then, on my way home, my car breaks down. Luckily, it wasn't too far from home, and my husband walked out to wait with me, bringing cold water. Also Luckily, my baby brother is a Mechanic, so he and his Fiance came to our rescue (with cold beverages AND chocolate!!!!!) and got us and the car back home. I was pretty upset, that was 2 things that had died within days of each other... and usually bad luck comes in threes right?

Well it does. I set up my new laptop, charged it for a bit, then tried to turn it on......

Of course I had gotten a faulty bloody laptop......

It was easily enough replaced (with the help of the Mother-in-law's car) but a second trip, an hour each way, was not really convenient for us, oh well. Then of course, I had to work out Windows 8.1.... Oh my god, what were the designers of this operating system thinking? People want a computer, not a giant smartphone/tablet with an extremely limited OS, terrible layout, and bits that pop out from no-where when you're trying to click something else, internet explorer tabs that get lost and an address bar that gets in the way of the bottom of the page with no way to scroll down. Oh, and having to log on to your hotmail/microsoft account EVERY SINGLE TIME YOU TURN ON THE COMPUTER!!!!!!! My computer is in my sewing room, no-one goes in there, I don't need a password on it!

I have since found program to install which gives you back your start menu, as well as installing google chrome, so I'm not losing my open tabs, which means it is at least usable for web browsing for now. Thank goodness the My Documents/ My Pictures/Folders system hasn't changed too much, or I might have thrown this computer at a wall.

Now all I have to do is find a copy of Microsoft Office to install, and get the drivers for my Printer to work (which I spent hours trying to work out last night to no avail) and I will have a reasonably useful computer again.... I hear Windows 10 will be given out for free as Windows 8 has been such a flop, maybe I will just have to hold out for that....

Hopefully, this coming week will be a much better one.

Dixie

No comments:

Post a Comment