Monday 28 January 2019

Feeling good in McCall's 6920

Yay! New Dress!


It has been a while since I have sewn a dress that both shows off my figure AND makes me feel good about it, but here it is! The week 3 challenge of the 52 week sewing challenge is to use a pattern you own but have not made before, and I have had McCall's 6920 sitting, paired with 2m of a large floral cotton sateen, since I bought it last year some time, just waiting to be sewn up.


The pattern goes up to a 24w, and has convenient shortening lines for those of us who are a little bit petite in the height department. I cut the largest size, shortening at the petite lines, grading out about 1/2 inch at the hips on most of the pieces, and shortened the hem by 7cm. I probably could have left the length at the hem, but I was worried I wouldn't be able to get all the pieces from only 2m of fabric. I also did not bother with pattern matching or placement, due to the limit of fabric, but really with such a large print, I would've had to waste a hell of a lot of fabric to do so.

Construction was super simple, I didn't fuss about with much fitting, as the fabric had stretch which would hide some flaws. I found the perfect green zip already sitting on top of my zip box waiting, and all in all this dress went together very quickly, during a few moments I could sneak away into my sewing room while my son was napping, or after he had gone to bed.


I probably needed to cut a smaller size for the bust and chest area, so it is a little roomy there, but I am very happy with the fit at the waist and the hips, which is usually my problem area. While this is far from one of my best sews, I love how quick it was to put together, and I think it looks great on me (and so does hubby!)

I did go to wear it out last weekend, but realised the split at the back very nearly shows off my bum, so have out this back in the sewing room for a quick alteration before it gets worn out of the house, which is why this post is so late (woops) but rest assured I have still been keeping up with the weekly challenges from the 52 Week Sewing Challenge. I will update this post with modelled photos of this dress when I get a chance.

Dixie

No comments:

Post a Comment