Saturday 22 August 2015

A Pink Lady for a Grease Sing-a-long!

September's Regal Cinema Cult Classic Friday is Grease! 

And not only is it Grease, but its a Grease Sing-a-long!!!!!!



So Naturally I have to go, and naturally I have to make a new outfit/costume to wear!

Being a 50's era movie, I figured it would be best to make an outfit that I could then incorporate into my regular wardrobe afterwards. Also, my Husband said he won't go to a sing-a-long with me (party pooper!) So I don't want to go as Sandy without a Danny. As cool as Rizzo is, I don't think I could pull of her style (or hair) so I thought, hey, why not dye my hair Pink again and go as everyone's favourite beauty school dropout?





So as a base, I pulled out this oh-so-very-90's pattern from my stash



While at first glance it may seem a bit hideous, If I change the skirt to a pencil skirt and add darts to the bodice pieces, I will have pretty close to what I need! I will also add a bit more fullness to the sleeve heads for some cute gathering like Frenchy's dress.

While I would've ideally liked a slightly stretchy fabric (like bengaline or stretch cotton sateen) to make this a very fitted dress, Running around spotlight with my husband, my brother and his fiancé all looking for a slightly stretchy light Pink fabric, did not yield any results. So I settled for 3m of cheap cotton poplin, which was on sale for less than $4 per meter.

I shortened the Bodice pieces by approximately 1.5 inches, and cut a size 20 in the bodice, nipped in to an 18 at the waist, which was the size 22 of the skirt pieces (borrowed from Butterick B6094 which I have made twice before in Red/Black and in Green/Purple) and then graded out about 1 inch further at the hip line on each piece. Instead of cutting the back on the fold I cut it as 2 pieces to make it easy to put a split at the bottom of the skirt. I used the skirt darts and continued them up to make darts in the bodice pieces.

Fraken-patterning

Progress so far

This is coming together quite easily (although I am yet to get to the buttonholes) However I still have not found fabric to make myself a Pink Ladies jacket. Instead of going screen accurate for it, I really want to make a leather/vinyl bomber style jacket, but I just cannot seem to find pink leather or vinyl in my price range. Sad Face. Oh well, I will keep looking and hopefully something will turn up.

I'd love to make something like this!

Seriously, if you live anywhere near Newcastle, you should really book tickets to come along, its only $7! and usually there is a complimentary drink and some nibbles. Plus I will be there! Yay!

Anyway, completed costume photos from the night will follow as usual.

Dixie O'Dare

P.S. I will hopefully be getting my teeth all fixed up next week sometime, so hopefully will be feeling much better and be getting lots more sewing, etc done!

No comments:

Post a Comment