Monday, 11 May 2015

Banoffee Pie for Mother's Day Brunch

Last Year for Mother's day my mum and I tried to take my grandparents out for breakfast at a fancy restaurant. Grandfather wouldn't come as he had too much to do in his shed, and while grandma came with us, she seemed very concerned about the prices on the menu, even though she wasn't paying. This year when mum suggested we take grandma out to the same restaurant, I told her I thought she would enjoy herself more if we had it at her house and brought the food with us.

And so, I decided to make a Banoffee pie, while leaving mum in charge of something savoury. Banoffee Pie is so easy to make, but is definitely a little bit naughty and special. But it has fruit in it, so it has to be good for you, right? Hehehe

Here is the recipe I used, taken from the Woolworths website, with photos by me

125g butter for the base, 50g for the filling
250g arnott's granita biscuits
395g tin of condensed milk
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 bananas
300ml cream

Start by crushing up your biscuits. Use a food processor if you have one, I just used my mortar and pestle which did the trick pretty quickly. Mix with 125g of melted butter, then press into a pie dish. Chill in the fridge for at least 10 minutes.

Put the condensed milk, brown sugar and butter in a saucepan and put over a low heat, stirring constantly.

When the mix starts bubbling, cook for 5-10 minutes, making sure you keep stirring and scraping the mixture in from the sides so it doesnt burn.

Take it off the heat and pour into the pie crust you made before, then put the whole thing back in the fridge to set.

Once the caramel is set, slice up the bananas and lay them over the top of the pie. Whip the cream and pile it on top. Finish by grating a smidge of chocolate over the top.

Ta Dah!

I hope everyone had a lovely mothers day yesterday.



  1. Oooh! Yum! I wish I wasn't sick so I could go downstairs and bake this RIGHT NOW.

    1. Oh no! I hope you get better very quickly! This recipe is so quick and easy, I made a second one to take to my in-law's and it took me less than half an hour!