Friday 10 April 2015

Attempting to knit......

Anyone who know's me (or has been reading my blog for a while) will know that I love sewing. I'm good at it, and it just makes sense to me. I also dabble in many other creative pursuits (with reasonable success) but one thing I have always struggled with is knitting.

That's not to say I can't knit at all. I have been able to sew plain squares and rectangles since I was a little girl. I've made many a scarf, including a long black one I wore most winters throughout High School. But that's where my talents ended. No matter how much I tried, no matter how many knitting books and how to's I read, I just couldn't get beyond that.



Then I saw this Cute knitted blouse pattern on The Vintage Pattern Files Blog. I thought, well it looks simple enough (perhaps I'm in denial) and I have quite a few balls of red yarn given to me some time ago by my Sister-in-law (ok, my brother hasn't put a ring on her finger yet, but they've been together for about as long as my husband and I have, so she's as good as) I also have a decent collection of knitting needles that I pick up from time to time from op-shops, so I already had the right sizes needed.



I'll admit, I almost gave up a few times. I pulled the whole lot off the needles 3 times because I kept stuffing it up in the beginning. But, as my Mother will agree, I am Stubborn. I was adamant I was going to make this knitted garment. So I kept at it, and eventually the ribbing started to take shape. I repeatedly told my husband how excited I was that it was actually looking like it was supposed to, I think he got sick of hearing it. I still have a long, long way to go with it, and I doubt I'll finish this year, but I am so excited to finally be able to knit a garment (hopefully) and not just squares or scarves!

To any of you who regularly knit clothes, I applaud you!

Dixie

No comments:

Post a Comment