Saturday, 4 April 2015

A (finally) finished Capelet, Pants and some Unleavened Bread

So when I got back to working on my capelet for Sew Retro Rose's sew along, I realised I had done my bound button holes wrong. I had sewn the "lips" on to the facing, instead of the outer part of the bodice. Urgh. I contemplated unpicking them and doing it to the correct side, but the teeny tiny stitches I had used when stitching in the ditch around them was going to be a headache to unpick, and I most likely would just end up mangalating the fabric. So I simply decided that when I got to the finishing point, I would just hand sew the 2 sides together as neatly as possible, they are going to be hidden behind the buttons for the most part anyway, right?

I also attempted to embellish the back of my cape with some beading, but didn't love how it ended up looking, so I unpicked it all.

Beaded embellishment

Part way through

There was a lot of hand sewing to finish this garment off, and I may have cheated a little and machine sewed my hem facings down (I didn't line mine) Sorry Beccie!.


Now that I'm finished the Capelet, I actually like it a lot more. Even Hubby said it looked quite cute, so I may have another go at it with a more expensive fabric. Photos on the Mannequin are all you get for now, I will be modelling the capelet for some better photos tomorrow for the round up post on Sew Retro Rose.

And now, as promised, here are a couple of photos of the pants I made on Thursday. I wore them out today, and snuck a few photos using the mirrors from the new Elsie George store at 94 Vincent st, Cessnock.

The Pants

Back View

Front View

Yesterday for good Friday, we had some of the family over for a feast of fish and unleavened bread. After discovering last year that store bought flat bread actually contains yeast, we decided to have a go at making it ourselves this year. So before anyone arrived, I got to work in the kitchen.  Thankfully it turned out quite easy to make. I made the dough with 1 cup of plain flour, 1 teaspoon of salt, 2 tablespoons of oil and 1/2 cup of water. Kneaded on a floured surface, divided into 8, rolled out and cooked in a dry non-stick frypan. I did try cooking them in the oven at first, but found they turned out too dry and crunchy. As we had 9 people coming, I made 2 batches.

Then I spent today with friends, helping their kids melt chocolate and put it into molds to make their own Easter chocolates. Actually, supervised might be a better word for it, I didn't really help, as I didn't want to get chocolate on my new pants.

Happy Easter Everyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment