Tuesday 3 February 2015

My Favourite Online Tutorials and Free Patterns

While I keep you all in suspenders waiting for me to give you the PDF of the Australian Home Journal Pattern I promised, I thought I would put together a list of some of the best free online tutorials and PDF Patterns that I have come across and/or used.
Some of these have been mentioned previously before on my blog and some are ones that I have stashed away for future projects, but I thought I would compile them all together here for my reference and yours. I'll be adding to this list when I find more.

Clothes:
The Darcy boxer shorts - Everyone's favourite multi-size unisex boxer short pattern! I have used this to make boxers, but have also used this as the shorts part of a 50's style playsuit. PDF
Sew Vera Venus Free Patterns - This links to her whole free pattern page, which has many patterns I haven't made yet, but plan to, but I did use her 30's/40's Retro Style Mini Cape Pattern to make capelets for my Bridesmaids for my Wedding last year (I just added a bit of extra length to them) PDF
Elizabeth dress - A cute dress with a faux sweetheart neckline with a sheer or contrast upper bodice. This is a free Pattern from Spit up and Stilettos that I have made and love. They also have other women's patterns to download for free. PDF
Ralph Pink Free Patterns - This site has quite a few nice free sewing patterns. They are pattern only, no instructions and they are only in UK10 (a couple might be UK8) so probably not for a beginner, or someone afraid to grade. I haven't made any of his patterns yet, but am looking forward to using one of his corset patterns (and corset-making video tutorials) soon PDF
the unofficial downton abbey sews - not just clothes, but some home items and accessories as well. An Inspiring collection of 10's & 20's style sewing patterns to sew your own Downton Abbey Wardrobe. Again, I haven't tried these ones yet, but it's on my to do list! PDF
The great british sewing bee patterns - A bunch of downloadable patterns. PDF
The great british sewing bee Sew your Own Wardrobe patterns - A bunch of downloadable patterns. PDF
Vintage purls - a whole heaps of 30's to 50's knitting patterns PDF
The Secretary Blouse - a really cute retro inspired blouse PDF

Accessories:
Remnant bag tutorial - My own rambling tutorial to make a casual shoulder bag with leftover fabric from a project
bridesmaids clutch tutorial and pattern - I used this to make a bag for my Cousin for her Formal with a metal hinged frame. PDF

Items for the Home:
Make a mesh lingerie bag tutorial - I used this to make some as Christmas Presents
quilted wine tote sewing tutorial - Cute little wine tote, great hostess gift! I made a few of these as Christmas presents some years back.

Techniques:
The ultimate applique post - A great guide to get you started doing your own Applique!


Dixie O'Dare

No comments:

Post a Comment