Sunday 22 February 2015

Finished Kitty Valentine Dress Plus the FREE PDF Pattern!

I know you've all been waiting for this......

My first Free PDF Pattern offering!

But you have to read my whole blog post first.

Since I teased you all with it when I mentioned here it almost a month ago, I treated myself to a new cheapo laptop (hey its not like I need a hardcore gaming machine, right?) and got my hand traced pattern pieces scanned in. I also added the finishing touches onto my Kitty Valentine Dress, then made you all wait until it's debut outing to show you the finished pics. I made this dress specifically to wear  for my Husband's and mine Valentine's Weekend away, that was a christmas present from my dad (Thanks Dad!) which we had to move to the following weekend. Coincidentally, that meant it fell on my husband's birthday, so double whammy there. We stayed at the lovely Mantra at Ettalong Beach, in a 1 bedroom Ocean view Spa Suite. Jealous?


Now it was my full intention to have my Husband play photographer for me and take some photos of me wearing the dress as we were out and about, however, I was a complete air-head and left my tablet pc in the hotel room while we were out. By the time we got back to the room, we just wanted to relax in the air-con, so no new photos were taken, so here is the selfie I took at work which I posted in my previous blog post



Any way, on to the Pattern that you're all really here for.

1st September 1951 Home Journal Frock 7852

Just to remind you, it is the bodice for the Frock 7852 on the Left side of this 1951 Australian Home Journal Pattern. I wasn't dedicated enough to trace the skirt pieces for you, so just add a 1/2 circle skirt to be close to the original or do a full circle skirt like I did. 



In the Pattern I have included the original 36" bust size pieces for the front, back and sleeve, as well as my drafted up pieces for a roughly 42-44" bust (I'm in between right now) with altered flutter sleeve and self drafted? Neckline facings. The pattern says it doesn't include seam allowances, but I didn't add them to mine, and just used 1/2" seam allowances and it turned out great. It is still quite a loose fit, but perhaps it is supposed to be looser? Might be best to measure your pieces before you begin, especially if you are using the 36" bust pieces.
Also, if you are using my graded up pieces, please keep in mind I have not added any length to the bodice, as I am short waisted. if you are not you may need extra length. Beccie from Sew Retro Rose wrote a helpful Tutorial for lengthening (or shortening) the bodice pieces for her swirl sew-along that would also work for this pattern

If anyone does use this pattern to make a dress or top, I would love to see your results!

Now it is time for a nap, surrounded by kitties (they have missed us)!


Dixie

10 comments:

  1. You're a legend Dixie! Thankyou for being so generous. I love that neckline. I'd love to make it but even if I never get time I'll still covet the pattern very much :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do It!!! It's simpler than it looks, I promise! You just need to be able to decipher some of the instructions from the magazine, as I was too lazy to re-write it in a more easy to follow manner.

      Delete
  2. I love your dress, and even more than the dress, I love your helper. I had a cat that would jump up and watch me sew, until she made a grab for the needle and got stabbed. Cats are faster than lightening! I guess that is why they can eventually kill a rattlesnake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rosie! The grey cat that helped me when I was making this Dress is my Princey boy, but I also have 2 girls as well, Mabel and Tessa. I usually only allow 1 to help at a time though, because then it just turns into cat babysitting.
      Your comment came up 3 times for some reason, so I hope you don't mind that I have deleted 2 of them.

      Delete
  3. Ooh, the best neckline. I will have to give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like it, I would love to see a photo if you do make it :)

      Delete
  4. Your dress came out so lovely! Thank you for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is fabulous! Thank you so much for sharing Dixie!! ❤

    xox,
    bonita of Lavender & Twill

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh dear oh dear, a lovely pattern, in MY size!! thank you soooo very muchn you are a star!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your very welcome, I know it is a hard size to come by, particularly in vintage patterns, which is why I have to draft up nearly every one I own.

      Delete