Friday 8 July 2016

Marilyn at Bendigo Art Gallery

For my Birthday this year, I decided I had to go see the Marilyn Monroe Exhibition at Bendigo Art Gallery in Victoria, so my Husband and I went on a roadtrip down south, via Sydney for Winterfest on the way, and Melbourne to pick up a sewing machine for my good friend Beccie, of Sew Retro Rose fame.



Unfortunately, they did not allow photography within the exhibition, and had staff placed all throughout it to make sure nobody did, so I couldn't even manage a few sneaky shots. I would have loved to be able to photograph some of the details from her dresses on display, so instead I took notes. In hindsight, I should have taken a sketchbook. The 2 dresses I spent the most time looking at details of were the nude/silver beaded dress from Some like it Hot, and one of the original Gold Lame dresses from Gentlemen Prefer Blondes. There was a broad range of Marilyn's outfits, with a variety of different movie costumes, as well as many clothes from her personal wardrobe. The White subway dress, while immortalised in the giant statue on display in town, was not in the exhibition, to my dismay. Nevertheless, I frocked up (even though it was about 8 degrees) and posed for a few photos underneath Marilyn's skirt.




This exhibition ends very soon on July 10, so if you have been thinking of seeing it, this weekend will be your last chance!

Dixie

No comments:

Post a Comment