Tuesday 12 April 2016

Vintage Suit Sew-Along: Inspiration and Planning

When Angela first announced on her blog that she and Amy of Chica Chica Boom Chic were hosting a Vintage Suit Sew-Along, I had so many ideas flowing through my mind.

Firstly was this pattern, which I have used previously to make a suit for a friend


As well as a few other, less structured Vintage Suit patterns in my collection


And then, as my mind usually does, it turned to Marilyn Monroe.....

Those of you familiar with my blog or me, will know I am a bit obsessed with Ms Monroe, in particular, her clothes and style. I have made more than a few reproductions of her outfits in the past. So of course, I began thinking of some of the gorgeous suits she has donned in her movies.

The first one that came to mind is the stunning black and white suit she wears while in Paris in "Gentlemen prefer blondes"


But she has some equally gorgeous, but less tailored suit looks, as well as a stunning tailored suit in the movie "Niagara"






Actually I thinking I will make this red coat sometime in the future anyway.



Of course the one that really caught my eye was the Pale Blue Suit. The longer I thought about it, the more I liked it, and I think I remember, that some time ago, I purchased some lovely light blue wool blend suiting type fabric from an op-shop. However, after spending the day tearing the house and garage apart, I could not find it. Which now has me thinking I imagined buying it,but it's more likely it is just hiding somewhere. I'm afraid to admit that my fabric collection is a little out of hand, so I really will have to do something to manage it all. Anyway, hopefully by the time we start actually constructing our Vintage Suits, I'll have either found my fabric, or bought some more fabric (although I probably shouldn't be buying more...) As for the pattern, the jacket is already quite similar to the vintage pattern at the beginning of this post, so I will draft it off that.



If I don't find/buy any pale blue fabric for this suit, my plan will be to just sew myself a vintage suit using some fabric from my stash. I was lucky enough to be gifted a large amount of this fabric from my lovely friend Beccie from Sew Retro Rose, some time back, so now would be a perfect time to use it (or some of it) I'm not sure exactly what to call this colour (a light olive green/grey?) but from experience, I know I tend to look best in pale colours versus dark colours, so I am sure this one (whatever it is) is going to work for me


Anyone else participating in the Vintage Suit Sew-Along? I'd love to hear your plans!

Dixie

No comments:

Post a Comment