Sunday 6 January 2019

52 Week Sewing Challenge, Week 1

Last year, I joined the 52 week sewing challenge for 2018 on Facebook. However, due to being heavily pregnant, and then having a newborn, I did not actually manage to complete any of the weeks challenges at all. Luckily for me, the challenge has been renewed this year, with a new list of 52 challenges to complete.


This year's week 1 challenge was "Organise your sewing room" which could be taken literally, or in the way I chose to, and that was to sew something to help organise your sewing room. My sewing room has been neglected for some time, so I knew there was no way I would be able to get it all tidied up in time.



 After a little bit of pinterest searching, I settled on this "Undercover Maker Mat" pattern from Lillyella. However, as my machine is so much larger than a normal machine, I had to make my mat about 50% larger than the pattern. So I mostly just used the pattern as inspiration, and came up with my own. The main area is made up of 3 fat quarters (1 and a half for each side) and the pockets and binding were made with scraps from other projects.




During the little bit of sewing I have done since, I have found it super helpful to have my pins and scissors on hand (I am always misplacing my scissors) and I even found another use for it, as a make shift pin cushion for when I leave my proper one in another room.


Next week's challenge is to "Sew a UFO" so I have been looking through some of my half finished projects in my sewing room to complete. Hopefully I can keep on track with these challenges this year, and post my makes in the facebook group, as well as a blog post here each Sunday.

If this sounds like a challenge you would be interested, head to the 52 Week Sewing Challenge Facebook group and join in!

Dixie

2 comments:

  1. What a handy thing to have! I like that you can also use it as a pincushion when needed, too. It's so good to have all of your tools to hand, isn't it? I was lucky enough to find a little sewing caddy in an op shop (still in its box!) that sits on my sewing table and holds my scissors, pins, bobbins and more. My table must have been an awful mess before I got it!

    All the best for the year-long sewing challenge. It sounds like it should be fun. :)

    Katie @ Katie Writes Stuff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realise just how much I would actually use it until I after I made it, it really is super handy, and I used to always drop pins or have them roll off the top of the cabinet, but not anymore!
      I really need something to help keep me motivated and organised this year, as I barely got any sewing done last year, so I feel like this will help :)

      Delete