Monday 3 April 2017

I made a Denim Jacket!

Yes, I made a Denim Jacket! Complete with flat felled seams and (mostly) straight top stitching! The pattern I used was the new Kingston Jacket from Mummykins and me. I made a straight XXL (didn't even need to grade out for my hips!) and the pattern goes up to a ladies 5XL, as well as being available in children's sizes as well.


I once again forgot to take progress photos while making this jacket, and while I was using a particularly thick, unruly denim, the thorough instructions, combined with my trusty, ever faithful Janome with a walking foot, made sewing this jacket surprisingly easy! 


Nearly all the seams are flat felled, I used my overlocker for the ones that weren't but this pattern also includes instructions for seams without overlocking. As with any Mummykins and Me pattern, this one is very well set out and explained, so while it may seem intimidating at first, each step is so well explained, it makes it a very manageable sew.



I top stitched in a medium pink, and used a piece of floral fabric leftover from my Madison dress for the under collar.










I also used the optional hanging loop, and I love how handy it is.



So far I have already worn my jacket to University and to a Dixie Chicks concert. It should hopefully fill a gap in my me-made wardrobe of a casual, not-to-warm jacket.

And here's an outtake from the photo shoot, which I'm calling my "bad girl" look.


I'm really looking forward to getting lots of wear out of this jacket over the coming cooler months, and am also considering sewing another one out of a lighter fabric, or perhaps a vinyl bomber style jacket. Who knows......

Dixie

2 comments:

  1. I love it with the floral dress and sunnies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks utterly fabulous and should be perfect for Autumn. I love it!

    Katie @ Katie Writes Stuff

    ReplyDelete